What happens when you suffer from bronchitis?

By -

The increasing pollution day by day is affecting many human organs and more importantly respiratory organs. These hold the first place amongst the organs which are being affected by increased pollution. When the respiratory organs are infected with pollution many sorts of respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis and breathing problems set in and make life a difficult task.

Here let us see about bronchitis and types of bronchitis.

What is bronchitis?

Bronchitis is an irritation that occurs in the lining of the bronchial tubes which are responsible for carrying air to and from the lungs. Bronchitis is of 2 types: ACUTE BRONCHITIS and CHRONIC BRONCHITIS.

Photo Credit: http://stylesatlife.com

Signs of acute bronchitis:

When the signs and symptoms are present for two weeks or even lesser then it is known as acute bronchitis. To most extent, in this phase, the respiratory tracts are not affected. They can as well be brought to normal condition when treatment is on time during this phase. To the maximum extent, the virus infections such as influenza, rhinovirus, and Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) are responsible for acute bronchitis. They hold 90 percent share for this bronchitis. The rest of the 10 percent causes of acute bronchitis are from bacteria such as mycoplasma and others. Acidity, smoking and also harmful chemicals are also part of this 10 %.

What is chronic bronchitis?

As the name suggest this type of bronchitis is chronic and the symptoms such as cough and sputum can be seen for 3 months or even more at a stretch. The respiratory tracts get damaged due to smoking, climate changes, pollution and viral infections.

Causes of bronchitis:

The main cause of bronchitis is smoking. Apart from smoking, vehicle and industry pollution, the increased bacterial and viral infections due to climate changes, heart related problems; genetic reasons such as cystic fibrosis and weak immunity system are also the causes.

Symptoms of bronchitis:

•    Cough that extends for longer period of time

•    Presence of sputum and mucus in yellow, white and green colors

•    Few times you can notice blood in sputum

•    Asthma

•    Difficulty in breathing

•    Swelling of respiratory organs

•    Throat pain

•    Chest congestion

•    Fatigue

•    Muscle pain

•    Fever

•    Headache

•    Blocked nose

Diagnosis of bronchitis:

Based on the symptoms of the patient, sputum test, chest x-ray and blood test are conducted to diagnose it. At times, the patient needs to go for CT scan and also tests to know the shape and functioning of lungs such as PFT tests.

Treatment for bronchitis:

The only way to get out of this drastic situation is to seek the doctor’s advice and take prescribed medicines regularly without fail. Medicines need to be taken for a longer time and any deviance from this will again restore the condition. Proper food and healthy lifestyle are more important. Avoid exposing to pollution.

Leave a Reply

Comodo SSL