Hiccup is an instinctive contraction of the respiratory organs and diaphragm, with an unexpected closing of the glottis along with gulping sound. Hiccups are natural and may happen due to many reasons. They go away on their own or drinking some water too will cease them. They are problem when you have them for longer duration and they can be an indication for some major problem. Let us see what causes hiccups and how to treat them.
Causes of hiccups:
There are many reasons for hiccups but generally, hiccups are associated with changes in digestive system. Kidneys are responsible for filtering the impurities from blood. These impurities are the result of digestion which gets mixed with blood and this is where kidney should separate the impurities and when kidneys cannot dispense this function hiccups begin. The other reasons are:
- Improper eating habits such as eating hurriedly, not eating on time and improper food.
- Anger too can be one cause
- Mental conditions such as anxiety and depression
- Weak nerves
These in general are reasons behind hiccups.
Hiccups most of the time are cured easily and naturally unless they indicate some major problem. Here we shall see some home remedies to cure hiccups. These natural remedies are very effective.
- Take little amount of sugar in mouth and gnaw slowly.
- Drink a glass of water all at once to get instant relief from hiccups.
- Take one Indian gallnut and make paste. Add this paste to one cup of lukewarm water and drink.
- Take two grams of honey, 2 grams of sugar and 2 grams of Mesua ferrea. Add these all to a cup of sugarcane juice and drink to get easy relief from hiccups.
- Sit erect as you sit for meditation. Breathe in deeply and hold the breath as far as you can and release slowly. Repeat this process for 4 to 5 times when you face hiccups.
- Take pinch of sandalwood powder and mix it with breast milk. Drop this mix in nostrils and inhale.
- Add honey, piper longum to Indian gooseberry fruit juice and drink.
- Take Phyllanthus niruri juice; add sugar to it and drink or even inhaling Phyllanthus niruri is also good reliever.
- Peacock feathers are also effective in treating hiccups. Burn peacock feathers, take half gram of it, and add little honey to it. Eat this for four to five times in a day.
- Burning Black Gram on charcoal and inhaling it is also effective way to cure.
All these are easy and effective natural remedies for hiccups. In fact these are not only home remedies but are also ayurvedic remedies for hiccups.