It is recommended that each one of us should consume a balanced diet for ensuring our healthy living and this is more true in the case of people over 60 years. Here are some useful tips in this respect:
When it comes to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, diet plays an important role. A good and well-balanced diet can help people protect themselves from many illnesses and diseases. Even though, it is suggested that all of us should consume a well-balanced diet, this is of great importance for people, who have reached their age of 60. This is because at this age, the immune system of the body would be somewhat weaker as compared to what it was so far. Here are some tips to maintain a balanced diet for people, who are more than 60 years of age:
- Generally, people are suggested to opt for fresh vegetables. But, frozen vegetables are also healthier. So, it would be wise for elderly people to have a compartment in their refrigerator for storing frozen green beans or peas and this can be a healthier alternative to them.
- It is better to opt for seasonal fruits and vegetables and in addition to providing the health benefits, they can also be cheaper as well.
- Normally, most of the elders feel hatred towards food and this might be because of the fact that they follow the same type of diet every day. So, they can try out vegetables in different colors on their plate as it can be appetizing and a difference from the same type of diet as well.
- Some elderly people do not get out of their home just because of their doctor’s advice not to get out alone. So, these people should consider consuming vitamin D supplements. Generally, the early morning sun’s ray is known to be an effective way to get vitamin D and as these people do not get out of their homes, they can either opt for supplements with this vitamin or foods with this vitamin content. Some of the foods that can be helpful in this respect are cod liver oil, fish, fortified cereals, oysters, mushroom and egg. However, elderly people to confirm with their health care provider with respect to the foods that will be suitable for their health condition.
- These people should also be careful about fatty and sugary foods and this is particularly important if they have the problem of diabetes.
Of course, it is better to consult with the health care provider, who can provide the right kind of guidance based on the health condition of these elderly people. Thus, people over 60 years should be careful about their diet and they should ensure that a balanced diet is followed.