Healthy and regular menstrual period is important for health and fertility of a woman. There might be many reasons behind improper menstrual cycle. Here are different types of menstrual problems and causes.
1) Amenorrhea: This is a situation where women do not have menstrual periods. They miss out 1 or 2 menstrual periods. We can confirm this condition in a woman when she misses out minimum 3 menstrual periods in succession. It is of two types:
Primary Amenorrhea: This is the condition where a girl though having achieved puberty age is not in a position to get the menstrual cycle. Normally menstrual cycle begins from the age of 16.
Causes of Primary Amenorrhea: Genetic or chromosomal problems are the primary causes behind this. These include conditions such as Turner’s syndrome, ovary infections, Cushing’s syndrome, improper womb creation, cystic fibrosis, and also hormonal imbalances such as adrenal imbalances and also medications used to cure cancers and depression.
Secondary Amenorrhea: Secondary amenorrhea is a condition that arises in a woman who has normal menstrual cycles, but her periods do not happen for 6 months or even more.
Causes of the secondary Amenorrhea: Too much exercise, PCOD, thyroid and pituitary problems, contraceptive pills, antidepressants, ovary related operations and so on are the causes.
2) Oligomenorrhea: This indicates abnormal menstrual periods. Generally periods take place after 35 to 40 days. The other symptom that can be noticed is the presence of less bleeding during the periods. That is the amount of blood released during the period is less than 30 milliliters.
Causes of Oligomenorrhea: The main causes include the presence of tumors in pituitary gland and PCOD. This generally happens at the time when periods are about to stop.
3) Menorrhagia: This is a condition where the menstrual cycle carries on for more days than the normal time it should take place.
Causes of Menorrhagia: Causes such as tumors in the ovary, PCOD, thyroid problems, endometriosis, and also ovary cancer.
4) Metrorrhagia: This is a situation where a woman experiences menstrual cycle between two menstrual cycles. This normally can be seen during the release of ovary.
Causes of Metrorrhagia: Causes such as hormonal imbalances, adenomas, ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis, contraceptive devices, and also contraceptives lead to this situation.
5) Dysmenorrhea: This is a condition where a woman undergoes severe pain during the periods. The pain is so severe that it affects the day to day activities of women during this period. This situation generally occurs few days before the menstrual cycle or on the beginning day and will continue through 3 days.
Causes of Dysmenorrhea: Presence of cysts in the uterus, hormonal imbalances, formation of water bubbles in ovary and also endometriosis.
Diagnosing menstrual problems:
• Blood tests such as CBP.
• Hormonal tests LH.
• CT Scan.
• Ultra scan.