While high blood pressure and diabetes are two main reasons for kidney related problems the reasons for kidney stones might be many beginning from improper diet habits to improper lifestyle. Usually a kidney stone is a small stone made of calcium crystals. In normal conditions formation of kidney stones and their disposal through urine is normal. Kidney stones are not a major problem till they are in the kidney. They become problem when they reach the ureter and start obstructing urine’s flow from the kidneys. There are different types of kidney stones such as Calcium oxalate, Struvite, xanthine, and other types of stones. Uric acid can as well as cause stones less frequently.
There are many terms for kidney stones based on the location they are present such as:
- Ureterolith and
Generally there are no symptoms unless the stone moves into urinary tract or becomes big in size. In common these are the signs and symptoms of kidney stones.
- Harsh pain in the back and sides, beneath the ribs
- Severe pain that stretches to the lower parts of the groin and abdomen
- Presence of pain in the form of waves that fluctuates in severity
- Pain associated with Urination
- Red, brown or Pink urine
- Foul-smelling of the urine
- Vomiting and Nausea
- Continuous push for urination
- Urinating more times than usual
- Chills and fever associated with urine infection
Treatment for kidney stones:
Generally medications are suggested for the removal of kidney stones and a surgery becomes mandate when it becomes extremely uncontrollable.
Precautions to take to avoid kidney stones:
1) The main reason for kidney stones is lack of proper water content in the body. A dehydrated body is always an invitation for kidney stones. So drink more water and keep the body hydrated. Correct intake of water will not only evade the formation of stones but will also dissolve if any present in the kidney. Drink at least 4 liters of water per day and also the sugar intake should be reduced.
2) The presence of heavy calcium in the body can also cause kidney stones. In a day the amount of calcium we take through all means be it diet or any other way should neither exceed nor decrease to 1200milligrams. The kidney needs correct amounts of calcium for its proper functioning. Take cream less milk. Butter milk is one best means to get calcium without fats.
3) If you are diagnosed with oxalate stones in the kidney avoid oxalate foods such as chocolates, green leafy vegetables, Soy related products.
4) It is better to keep the intake of Vitamin C foods to the minimum level as chances are high that c vitamin can form into stones. Prefer citrus less fruits.
5) The body needs sodium for proper functioning but see to that it does not exceed more than 2300 milligrams. Stay away from processed meat and foods.
6) Avoid obesity as this can also lead to kidney stones.