We all would have gone through fever at least once in our life. Actually why one faces fever? The causes of fever are many and differ from person to person. As many of us think fever is not a disease it is a condition that indicates internal trouble in the body. Fever is one important indication that the body is making an effort to fight the internal malfunctions. Generally the body is affected with fever when it is fighting with viral and bacterial infections. In adults the danger arises when the temperature touches 103 degrees Fahrenheit while in the case of children even a rise in a single degree is dangerous.
The causes for fever are many. Below are the important causes.
- Viral infections
- Bacterial infections
- Cold and flu
- Sun stroke
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Different kinds of tumors
- Medications used to treat clot in blood.
Certain medications used to treat other diseases can also cause fever such as medications that cause fever. Antibiotics used to treat high blood pressure. Medicines used to treat diphtheria, tetanus, bone infections, appendicitis, Tuberculosis, Ear infections, Sinus infections, bronchitis, urinal tract infections, gastroenteritis, arthritis, ulcerative colitis, crohn’s disease, and different kinds of cancers.
It is not that all these medicines should definitely lead to fever but may at times cause fever.
Symptoms of fever include…
- Increased sweat
- Muscle and body pains
- Lack of appetite and
When to consult doctor?
It is not that one should rush to doctor for even small increase in temperature, actually the body has a mechanism to fight on its own to certain extent and the need arises only during these conditions.
- When you have fever continuously for 3 or more days.
- When the severity is high.
- When you have fever along with shivering
- In case of kids, more than one day fever can be considered dangerous.
- Vomiting and stomach pain.
- Decreased urine levels.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- When the color of tongue, hands and nails changes.
These are few conditions which require medical supervision.
Precautions for fever….
- Drink more fluids, especially water and fruit juices.
- Avoid aerated drinks.
- Take proper rest till you are free from fever.
- Frequently change your clothes and bed sheets on the bed that you are using.
- Never do the mistake of covering the body with blankets.
- Don’t use cold water for bathing.
- The room should have proper light and ventilation.
- Clean the hands frequently to avoid any contaminated diseases.
- Use handkerchief when you sneeze or cough.
- Keep the room temperature normal.
These in general are the facts about of fever.